- When people post pictures of their positive pregnancy tests on the internet. Like, you peed on that.
- Incorrect use of the word “infamous.”
- Unhelpful and unnecessary abbreviations.
- Specifically, “prego”
- Also, “the hubs” and “hubby”
- The attitude that children are major drags to be avoided at all costs (I’m looking at you What to Expect When You’re Expecting movie)
- The attitude that children are designer items only rich people can/should have.
- The attitude that women who have never had a child before (like me) can’t possibly make informed decisions about birth, breastfeeding, diapering, parenting etc. I greatly appreciate advice from moms who have been there, but smugness and condescension don’t help.
Augustus, my unborn baby, has his own (state issued) health insurance card. It arrived in a separate envelope from mine, addressed to “Infant Badger.” Yet, he is supposedly not a person. This makes no sense to me.
The pro-choice argument that “a fetus is not a person” is one I have never been able to wrap my head around. At what point does one become a person. How do we define personhood?
Ability to survive without medical intervention? To breathe on one’s own? That rules out a good portion of the population, including the sick and some elderly.
Ability to reason and think complexly? Once again, this definition leaves out newborns, the mentally disabled and some suffering from mental illness.
Location? A baby’s physical location inside my uterus means that he is somehow less of a person or not one at all?
Neurons have been firing in this baby’s head for months. He already dreams (mostly dreams about the inside of my uterus, probably). He can recognize my voice and already responds to certain sounds.
Just some things I’m pondering this 27th week of pregnancy.
Interviewer: Is 3D something you’ll even consider…
Gary Ross: No. Absolutely not.
Interviewer: Why’s that?
Gary Ross: I don’t think it’s appropriate for this film. Um I don’t.. I think that if we shoot this movie in 3D, we become the Capitol. We start making spectacle out of something, that I don’t think is really appropriate here. There needs to be an aesthetic distance here, because of the nature of the material.
THIS MAN IS BRILLIANT.